Thursday, April 14, 2011

Arizona Day 4

Watched some riding and cow work this morning and then got Taz ready and warmed him up for Al for cutting.  Did some trotting and loping, mostly working on loosing up my self.  My lower back has been great but my collar bone area's still bothering me when I trot.  Each ride feels better than the last.  The horses are getting used to me and I'm getting used to the style they're used to.  I kinda lost track of what horses I did today.  I got to sit on one in the cutting pen, move the occasional cow and open and shut gates, I think it was Raisin.
Taz
 I got to ride Lucky again today and he was a lot more supple to the left.  I worked on some straight lope departures and sidepassing at the canter, then straight, then stay on the same circle, occasionally I asked for a lead change, they were good and he stayed slow and elevated.  Some times I changed to a new circle and sometimes counter cantered.

During my lesson we worked on rundowns and stops.  You have to stay relaxed, remember to keep pushing, keep the front end up, ride and then stop riding.  Sure it sounds simple.  It takes a lot to get used to the speed and trust that the horse will stop.
Bridle Change on Taz
So when  I was taking Taz to Al I slipped going down the bank and landed on my butt in the dirt.  Al laughed and said where`s that camera now. I said  "She can ride, but she can`t walk". He laughed even harder.

Al Dunning and I. TS Pictures by Tabitha Smith
This evening Carol and I took Tabitha to the airport.  I got to see how I got here while it was still daylight.
This is the Palo Verde tree in bloom

And see they do have mountains
On the way back we stopped at this cute little place called Greasewood Flats for a hamburger and a beer.   I swear Carol ordered a Red Bear which turned out to be beer and tomato juice.  Luckily I just said I'll have the same.  It was actually called Red Beer and I`d of looked kinda funny ordering a Red Bear. Darn accents.

Tomorrow the team is going to a cutting show. Carol and I are going too so it`s an early night tonight.  I`ll leave you with a couple of more pictures from Greasewood Flats.







1 comment:

  1. Hey Trish,
    What an awesome blog page! I so enjoyed you at Al's place and especially on the way to the airport when I found out you actually would talk and not shut up. :) I learned so much from you. Please keep in touch and I will keep on reading. Hugs, Carol

    ReplyDelete