Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Arizona Day 2 Evening

This evening I had a lesson with Jade and rode Dustin.  I rode by myself for about 1/2 hour and worked out the "yes you do have to go."  Then I practiced my lope departures.  I'm figuring out how to keep him framed and keep his shoulders out of the way but let him go forward.  He was really good at haunches in.  Jade asked what I had come down to learn and I said I would like to feel faster spins and flying lead changes before I went home but needed to work on rein handling the way they do.

We started out with working on turn arounds, how to start them, speed them up, get the forward feel.  Cool.  Next we worked on flying lead changes, bridling up but keeping the forward and not laying against my leg. i learned a better way to correct when the horse takes charge.  We did some run downs, working on straightness and then some sliding stops.  The last one was about 5 feet and when he stepped back he was right in the middle, nice and straight.  Then Jade showed me some beginning lead changes on the youngster he was riding and using the corner drill to get a horse forward and off your leg.  Looking forward to riding my horses, have all sorts of new ideas for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment