Monday, February 21, 2011

Tarps and Saddles

Friday and Monday I concentrated on the older horses.  On friday Cocoa, Snip and Red all were saddled with the pony saddle.  It fell off Cocoa once, that's why I use a little saddle, easier to put on multiple times. I worked on preparing Cocoa for the bridle by getting him to accept my finger going in his mouth without him taking his head away.  The other two I put the bridle right on.  I spent a few minutes lunging and getting them to come in and follow me.  Next I started lunging them over a pole and around a tarp until they started showing an interest in the tarp.  I let them stop and look.  I stayed on the far side and treated it like I was trailer loading in to a straight haul trailer.  While staying out of their way and not looking at their heads I used my whip to point at the flanks and suggest forward movement.  The lunge line was only to block them from turning away, never to pull them forward.  It's risky standing in front of a horse stepping on to a scary item.  To the horse, where you're standing is probably the safe place as you're not scared and horses can make an amazing leap and land precisely where you were before they sent you flying (or running). You hope the first time that you prepared them well enough that they respect your position and will jump around you.  All 3 of these guys surprised me.  With very tiny steps they carefully crossed the tarp the first time without jumping. Yay!  Next came lunging and then driving.  You know it's really hard to walk, film and drive a horse all at the same time, but here it is.
Oreo and I also did the tarp walk. Initially he didn't want to follow me at all, remember I lost some trust with the rope issue.  Once he decided it was okay to follow me again he also crossed the tarp without issue.  I spent the rest of the time deburring his forelock and mane.
Today I worked Cocoa, Snip and Red with a full size saddle. These guys are at least 15 hands and my saddle is at least 50 pounds. First was Red who I saddled from the right side. That way I don't have to throw all my cinches over the horse and I can make adjustments while I'm there and then change sides just once and do everything up.  Red did really good till I retightened the back cinch then he went cantering and bucking around the ring about five times.  After he settled I put driving lines on the sidepull which has a little more feel to it than the halter and drove him at the walk and trot.  He was turning well so I did roll backs in to the wall to teach him to respond to the word whoa.  He caught on really quick.
Snip was really good with the saddle and in addition to whoa worked a little on backing up.
Cocoa was not pleased with the saddle.  I pack it around a bit and have them follow me to build their confidence. He was okay with that but wasn't sure I should touch him with it. He was better on the left so with difficulty and lots of muscle I slid it up on his back and asked him to not move and make it fall off 'cause I didn't want to have to do it again.  He was really good packing it so I added the driving lines. He's the one who's not turning great. Bit of a stubborn streak. He was turning much better at the end and was sweaty but so was I. Hopefully I'll be able to get a bridle on him soon, I think it will help him a lot to work in the Vienna rein.

No comments:

Post a Comment