Saturday, February 12, 2011

Video of Oreo

Oreo was really good at being haltered and accepting of the surcingle.  He was a little mouthy and so I added the bridle which I will describe later with Red.  He was lunging well and pretty relaxed about the tack. The next step is the rope around the hindquarters to prepare the horse for driving lines.  I've mentioned these horses are afraid of the rope on the ground and described how some have handled it being around the rear.  The video will show you Oreo's reaction.  This is after he had kicked the gate of the round pen open.  What I need the horse to do is follow the feel of the rope on the left and turn towards it but every time he feels it he panics and runs.  When he stops I go up and rub on him but he does not want me on the left.  He has lost confidence and trust on the left side and keeps trying to put me back on his right side.  Even though I had been able to rub the rope all over him, once it went behind his legs he was scared.  These horse were basically untouched, however, they had been gelded.  I guarantee you they were roped and tied down. One of the ways to get them laid down is to pull the rope around their butt and take their legs out.  Tie the head to the hind legs and ...  you get the idea.  I spent another 30 minutes after the video working on touching him all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment