Saturday, February 12, 2011

Video of Red

Red was really good to catch.  I put the bridle on, bit under the jaw, headstall over the ears.  He was good with his ears so while it sat there I started working on sliding my finger in his mouth, from each side.  He finally relaxed and started opening his mouth. I smelled my fingers and they smelled like dead deer.  I knew their teeth needed doing as when they put pressure on the halter they would make ouchie faces. This guy however either has ulceration on his cheeks full of rotting food or an abscessing tooth. I used a straight bar happy mouth bit.  Usually I use a black (sweet) iron full cheek snaffle.  A full cheek is nice when turning to give added feel to the outside of the head but will annoy the mouth more when there are sharp points on the teeth.  You would think a horse would turn well then but instead they turn in to the pain trying to push it out of the way.  I chose the straight bar because a horse with wolf teeth is bothered more by a snaffle that breaks in   the middle.  I don't like a rubber mouth because it can stick on a horse with a dry mouth but the plastic ones don't seem to do that and if the horse moves quick while unbridling it doesn't bump the teeth the way a steel bit would.
Next I added the pony saddle because it's easier for me.  He had already had the surcingle once.  The stirrups hanging down didn't seem to bother him at all.  A lot of times when you add tack a horse forgets what you had previously taught him.  Red was a little sticky but knew what I wanted.  He was still bracy so I worked his head back and forth to help him relax and drop it down.


No comments:

Post a Comment