Friday, February 25, 2011

The Vienna Line

Red and Snip did really good with the leg leading and having the saddle thrown up on them.  I put the bridle on Red and introduced him to lunging with the line from my hand, through the bit to the saddle. Known as a Vienna line, this encourages the horse to bend and lower the head.  I started by using my body to move him around while he got used to feeling the bit then gradually used contact with the bit to initiate the direction. I was really pleased with how quiet he kept his mouth.  I thought he might be fussier as he's the one who's mouth smells like he has something going on.
Snip was a little fussier with his mouth, trying to figure out whether his tongue should go over or under it.  I moved him around with my body and tried to keep the line really quiet.  It took a little longer but he figured out to follow the feel and not need to play with his tongue.
With Cocoa I was a little more careful putting the saddle on but he stood pretty good.  His leg leading on the front legs was good.  On the hind legs all I asked him to do was stand still while I put the rope around his leg and moved the rope.  On the left he was really good.  On the right he tried to pivot away from me a little but not as much as the day before.  Getting the bridle on him was difficult as he still doesn't like his nose touched but I got it on and lunged him with it.  He was a little heavy at first, as he was in the halter, but was really good at keeping his mouth shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment