Wednesday, February 9, 2011

3 Wild Ones Progress

Well Burr's definitely got it figured out. He had a short lesson today. He stood his ground right away and let me put his halter on and rub on him. Yay!
Sampson on the other hand was just like Burr had been. He had 1 hour before lunch and 2 hours after lunch. He was slightly different than Burr in that he did not want me to touch him with my hand, just the whip.  I could however rub the whip anywhere on his head, between his eyes around his ears... I used the same technique of laying the whip across him and then working my way up it to touch him.  I also went with the rope around the neck to suggest he not leave. By the time I stopped for lunch I could rub his wither area, briefly, which was an improvement but still a long way to go.
After lunch I had to start all over again.  I put the rope around his neck again and worked at approaching him, trying to get him to approach me, wrapping my whip lash all around his head, making him work when he left, drawing him back in...  Sometimes he would let me rub more of him, other times he would snort and leave.  One step forward and two steps back.  Then gradually he let me touch him without jumping, let me start rubbing him with the rope too. Then the big step, two hands. Rubbing from halfway up his neck to his loins and down his shoulder.  I changed sides and we started again, but it went so much faster.  He finally figured out that it was nicer to be with me than to leave.  I didn't try and halter him yet, still have to be able to touch him with a hand on each side of the neck, but major progress was made.
Snip was a star.  I hadn't worked him since friday. I walked up and put his halter right on and lunged him a little each way.  I laid the line across his back, dragging and worked him loose to see how he handled it touching and chasing him.  His ears are definitely flatter when he concentrates. I then put on a surcingle, no reaction whatsoever, well his ears were a little flatter. I lunged him a little more each way then worked at putting the line around behind his butt and getting him to turn away from me.  The first time he said "NO, NO, I'm not allowed to turn my butt to you but he got it and didn't kick and only scooted a little.  I worked on both sides till he was quiet with it then I went one step further. I put the driving lines on his halter and through the surcingle.  He was so good. I used my body a lot to set him up for direction changes but he was getting the concept of turning to the feel of the rein.  What a Good Boy!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts Trish very interesting and imformative. Tara

    ReplyDelete