Thursday, March 3, 2011

Don't Fence Me In

Put Sampson (the horse) in the round pen today and then had Matthew help me swing in 5 panels to enclose him in a mini round pen.  That worked much better.  It's very important to give the horse a way out as you're approaching so he doesn't feel trapped.  A trapped horse will defend himself, either kicking out or climbing out. I use 6' high panels and really watch my position.  Sampson doesn't want to hurt anyone. I got the rope around his neck without much difficulty and proceeded to rub on him some more.  When I was able to rub right up his neck I managed to get the neck rope around his nose and tuck it back through the neck area as a makeshift halter.  Although he and I both knew I couldn't hold him with it I was still able to use it to suggest boundaries and allow him to feel me on both sides of him.  I worked on rubbing his face all over from both sides, ears and nose.  I had to use an advance/retreat format but he started to really like it.  It was really windy so instead of pushing my luck putting a halter on him I decided to rub some baby oil in to his mane and forelock to start the deburring process then untied the rope and walked away.  Great progress was made and hopefully the halter will be on next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment