Saturday, March 26, 2011

An Uneventful Session

Rode the 3 boys again today.  Once again all I did was tack up, drive a few minutes and climb on.  I worked Red on some backing up on the driving lines to help him figure it out when I got on him.  He's getting pretty light at turning and is only occasionally flipping his head up even though I know he needs his teeth done.  When I rode him I put a light feel on the reins and clicked at him and he gave his nose. That's real progress as he tends to be high headed. Another click and he moved backwards. A definite improvement over yesterday.

While I rode Red, Mackenzie brushed Cocoa.  He was nervous about it being a different person and tried to leave twice but she got him stopped and kept working on him. After a bit he really started to enjoy it.  He was really good today for his second ride.  It took him a few minutes to find forward as every time I put a leg on him he moved his hindquarters away but he eventually found out he could walk around the pen, change direction, stop and drop his head for me.

Snip also forgot how to move forward for a few minutes but soon figured it out. On the driving lines I worked on walk to trot to whoa transitions but decided not to trot on him yet as it was pretty windy and this was his third ride.

Altogether it was an uneventful session, just the way I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment